Saturday, January 14, 2012

I Finished it Friday #1

Okay, I know it's Saturday but Friday sounds better and I really did finish the last of the "Christmas" quilts yesterday. I can't wait to give them to the kids. I clearly need to work on my quilt photography skills but you can see the quilts below. Do you have a favorite? I do - can you guess which one?

Zela: 48x63 - This quilt is for a 5 year old little girl. I started with a panel of owls and didn't really know where I was going to go with it. The panel could have just been backed and quilted but I actually cut the owls out and machine appliqued them onto the pink squares. I love pinwheels and feel they are so perfect for a little girl quilt so I knew I had to make up a few. After that it was just filling in the rest to give it a little flare so that they weren't just squares sewn together with some sashing.
 

Rudy: 43x58 - I'm not sure why but when I saw this pirate fabric I just thought of Rudy. One thing you must understand is that my husband and I despise pirates! Since we live on a boat and there is a big piracy zone between where the boat is in Australia and us getting to the Mediterranean we are definitely not fans. That being said...this fabric was just to cute to pass up. I was inspired by a quilt I saw online that was done much like this but I altered it and here is my version. I wish I could find the site again so that I could link it up.
 

Elle: 44x56  - I love this fabric!!! If I had a girl in my belly I probably would have made something to keep instead of give-away with it but I've got a little man coming so it'll go to my niece instead. When I started the only thing I knew was that I wanted to make sure you could really see what was happening in the print. I saw this fabric used in a quilt in shop I was in and they hacked it to pieces so that it totally lost the integrity of the print. I started by cutting up the print into strips then took the fabrics that I had collected for it and started matching stuff up for four-patches and some of my oh-so-favorite pinwheels. After that I just it was just a matter of laying things out and putting in some sashing.
 

Beck: 43.5x59 - I may just have to make a repeat of this quilt. The center pictures were fussy-cut before I even knew what I was going to do with them. They were a little skewed on the fabric so I knew that I'd need to straighten them out somehow so each of them is actually bordered and then cut to be square. The pattern actually comes from the headboard on his bed which is interlocking squares just like the quilt. Once I realized that is what I wanted to do the rest started to come together. Originally I was going to use primary colors but when I started going through my stash my blues, greens, and oranges worked and the nothing else did so that's what I went with. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
 

Alex: 37x43.5 - This quilt was totally inspired by Amy Smart's Chain Linked quilt at Diary of a Quilter. I loved her quilt but knew I didn't need a pattern to do something similar so I went for it. I fussy cut all the whales and then picked my blues to go with it. Fun fun and pretty simple.
 


2 comments:

  1. I love the whale quilt! Though, really, they are all lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite is Beck! They are all really cute though. Living at sea sounds like fun but also quite a challenge.

    ReplyDelete